Avoid Chimney Health Hazards, by Hiring a Chimney Sweeper in Sydney Today

Failing to have someone clean your chimney on a semi-regular basis can be a major fire hazard. It is fairly common knowledge that creosote and soot build-up in a chimney flue over time eventually combusts if left unchecked for long enough. Slightly less well known, however, are the other health hazards that an uncleaned chimney can pose.

If you or someone in your family suffers from asthma or allergies, you should be especially sensitive to when it's time to call a chimney sweeper in Sydney. However, a chimney that hasn't been cleaned or swept in the past year or more can have major effects on the air quality of your home—effects that everyone will notice.

What are those effects? Between exposure to creosote and presence of chimney soot in your home, you may experience anything from skin irritation to eye irritation. The most obvious problems are respiratory-related, as both creosote and soot can irritate your allergies and cause coughing, sneezing, itchy throats and more. On a long enough timeline, exposure to both irritants can cause lung disease and other serious health problems.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can also be a problem in homes with chimneys that have not been properly cleaned. The gas is produced during combustion processes when there is not enough oxygen to oxidise the reaction. Often, carbon monoxide poisoning is portrayed in films as someone leaving a car running in the garage with the garage door closed. However, it can also be a problem with a clogged chimney.

Avoiding all of these health hazards is reason enough to call a chimney sweeper in Sydney at least once every year. Get in touch with Anglo Master Chimney Sweeps on (02) 9369 4889 for your annual inspection and report.